Today, Luke and Alex lead our first interview with a Band Director, Dr. Michael Mapp, and it does not disappoint in the slightest. His answer to Luke’s question about what our education is lacking hits home in more than one way. What are you bringing to the music that you conduct and how are you leading your ensembles? We cover directing different age groups, the experience of score study, and what our education is lacking.
This week we discuss:
- Today’s Guest-Host
- Keeping Expectations Universal
- Building Respect and Authority as a Student Conductor
- The “Feedback-loop” and Aural Image
- Advice for conducting outside of your discipline
- Carlos Kleiber
- Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla
- Apo Hsu
- What Music Education Lacks
- The experience of score study
- On tradition and interpretation
- “On Love” by Dan Macintosh
- Mapp’s Billboard
Find this and all other episodes at PodiumTimePod.Wordpress.com. Subscribe and download Podium Time on your favorite podcast player, and connect with us on Facebook and Twitter with the buttons below.